Best Kids Books are Written in Blood

Sherman Alexie, an American novelist writes about how he expresses his childhood struggles of poverty and physical/sexual abuse through his writing and using it to assist others in their troubles. “I don’t write to protect them. It’s far too late for that. I write to
give them weapons–in the form of words and ideas-that will help them fight their monsters.”. His book is everything that he wish he had been told in his adolescence. Alexie believes that youth benefit from raw material and sheltering children who are struggling a trauma does nothing for them. “They wanted to protect me from sex when I had already been raped. They wanted to protect me from evil though a future serial killer had already abused me. They wanted me to profess my love for God without considering that I was the child and grandchild of men and women who’d been sexually and physically abused by generations of clergy”. Many youth read books with graphic content because it gives them a sense of security. It teaches them how to battle the problems in their real life by reflecting the ways that characters fight off monsters in the books. Alexie wishes to equip readers with what they need to battle their own struggles, something he wishes he had been given.

Many people find it challenging to reach out and find sources to help them after enduring a traumatic experience. Most victims never come forward because they are to afraid. Not always of the perpetrator, but the immense psychological impact of disclosing what they have been through. Giving them the option to find help in a novel supplies them with a sense of security without the need for exposure. Alexie’s intention is so valuable. “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian,” and many other “graphic” novels and extremely underrated, as they have changed the lives of so many. “I write in blood because I remember what it felt like to bleed”.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog